Friday, February 15, 2019

Hand Piecing

Two bloggers started a Hand Pieced Quilt Along together--Patty of  Elm Street Quilts, and Kristin of Simple, Homemade, Everyday. Each of them used different colorways and each has posted a different setting. There's a facebook page, too--Hand Pieced Quilt Along.  Every week (on Monday) a different block is posted, beginning with the basics and building on those skills. Each block finishes at 6", so those are some small pieces there.

This is not my first time hand piecing, but it has been fun to get back to it. The first quilting class I ever took was a sampler quilt of 12" blocks, all by hand. I made a throw for my daughter after graduating high school (late 90s) and hand quilted it as well. It's still in use, though very worn and ragged, which is why I am making her the string quilt.

I'm running a little behind, but I did finish up blocks 1 and 2 this week. (Block 5 will be posted on Monday, so I'm trying to catch up!)  There are sponsors with prizes every week, so this will be my first week to link up and be eligible for a prize. I decided to use batik scraps for my blocks, and I think I will set them on point, something I've never done before. Here are my first 2 blocks:

 It has been such a dreary, rainy fall and winter, that I felt the need for something more cheerful, now that the lights and colors of Christmas are just a memory. I'm thinking this little quiltlet should be called "Confetti".  It reminds me of the birthday cake Dawn made for my granddaughter's 4th birthday last week.





1 comment:

Patty said...

Lovely blocks. Thanks for linking up to the Hand Pieced QAL. I'm glad you've joined in.