Tuesday, October 08, 2019

Shards

And the milk glass saga continues.... I shipped 10 boxes, 144 pieces, to my friend 2 weeks ago. She was out of town when it arrived, but got back home that evening. And look what she found:


THREE boxes with every piece shattered, and there was at least 1 broken item in each box. 10 boxes. 35 broken items. The boxes look like they were run over by the truck, not transported in it.

We are both so upset. My mother began collecting milk glass for me when I was 15 years old. Some pieces were older than that, because I found them at antique stores, and they are at least as old as I am. Fortunately, she had not yet mailed the check, as she had been out of town, so we are waiting for UPS to process the claim. I'm pushing for full insurance payment on each box, but will settle for full insurance on the three boxes that were full of shards, and my shipping fee. Some of the items that broke were the least common--the 14" platter, the 5 thumbprint goblets, the scalloped bowl with the "trumpets" that held flowers. And there is no way to measure the sentimental value.

Last winter we ordered Jack a rolling tray and cup holder with storage underneath. He is a high fall risk, especially when not using his cane, and was on blood thinners at the time, so his hematologist insisted he have something to use when he wasn't using his cane, such as when he's carrying food to the den to eat. UPS delivered the box crunched in on the side, and when I removed it, the entire right wheel was bent inward. How do they get by with this? Fortunately, I had bought it from Amazon, so we were able to exchange it for another one, but it took UPS 3 weeks to come get it from my house. They gave me all kinds of hassle about it, until I finally called and told Amazon the difficulty I was having. Then they came out TWICE to pick it up. How does UPS get by with this behavior?  I will not be shipping with them ever again.

Moving on to my happy place. Halloween decor has begun! My theme this year is not a scary one. It's a fun theme -- Halloween Party!  All my skeletons will be dressed in costumes this year. I already have one of my tiny ones in a Supergirl costume Hazel has worn for dress-up. Beginning around the first of October I start pulling out my skeletons one by one and posing them, starting with the porch, and moving out to the yard after a next-to-last lawn mowing. I love playing with them, and I've had some of my neighbors tell me how they look forward to seeing what the skeletons are doing on a daily basis. Little by little, my fall decorations become spookier, and then they all revert to simply fall again in November.




See the skeleton hand on the lantern? My two oldest skeletons, the ones you see here, are falling apart. Some body parts were being held together with zip ties, but even those aren't working any more. Slowly, as they fall apart, they are being gathered together for the bone pit. Sometimes they appear in a wheelbarrow full of dirt, sometimes in front of tombstones, and sometimes in a fire pit. Always useful!

Yesterday and today, the temps finally dropped below 80. Last week we had several 90+ days! So glad fall is truly here!



No comments: