Sunday, January 29, 2023

Back Again?

 Jiminy! Has it really been 3 years since I posted here? I missed the whole blogging through the pandemic thing. Did you think I succumbed? Has anyone else gotten all caught up in Instagram and YouTube and strayed from blogging? I need to catch up on events and maybe switch to email notifications of blog posts. 

Let's see if I can do a quick summary of the last 3 years, and then I can decide whether or not to continue this blog. 

The corneal infections recurred for several months, but finally healed and I got the cataract removed. The scarring makes lights look like sparklers, and gives me shadow vision in that eye, but I didn't lose my eyesight, so I'm grateful.

Dawn, Hazel and I all got Omicron, but  late in the game, so we all had light cases, and no residual problems. Jack never got it, despite being exposed by all 3 of us, but he has his own health issues. 

His prostate cancer has returned, and has been found in a lymph node, so is no longer curable. They also found liver cancer last summer, but were able to remove the tumor, and the area was clear. Now he gets regular MRIs to watch for more. The goal is to slow the progression of his prostate cancer as long as possible. He has no symptoms, so again--we are thankful!

Dawn is now working at the University's Law School, not teaching at this time, but working with the students setting up internships, counseling, etc. Now she gets weekends and holidays off, works normal daytime hours, and no traveling. Much better for them, as Hazel is in second grade, and will turn 8 years old next month. (How did this happen??)



Finally finished Dawn's sofa quilt!! It was a long time before I could even see well enough to thread my machine in less than 15 minutes' time, and it is not an heirloom quilt by any stretch of the imagination, but they've had it to snuggle under this winter, and it is well used. (So glad to also get rid of the guilt in it taking so long!) Here it is laid out on my king-sized bed:



I have been paring down a lot of things, giving away bunches to members of our gifting group. I've given away lots of Halloween props (kept my skeletons, lights, and sturdier tombstones), given away unsentimental Christmas ornaments and decorations, bought a smaller tree, but put a second one in the guest room, so Hazel can have a tree there when she comes to visit.

The sewing/craft room is also being thinned out. Still have bins and bins of fabric, but have given away quite a bit, and several unfinished projects, as well as non-quilting crafts. I am not going minimalist, but I am finally realizing I can't do it all, so it's time to get choosy. My next project is to put the handmade quilt my great-grandmother (I think it was her!) started onto a frame and hand quilt it for my sister, using the Big Stitch method. I can't see well enough to do the traditional small stitches, and by adding borders to it years ago, it is now queen-sized, so -- Finished is Better Than Perfect, right? 

Most importantly, after years of going my own way, doing my own thing in life, I have come back to God. I was missing Him in my life, though He was always there waiting for me to turn around. I let my disappointment, stubbornness and anger come between us, but He has always been faithful to me, and I feel so much peace and joy now that I am right with God again. I am spending time in studying my Bible, keeping a prayer journal, and have found a wonderful church where I can be with and learn from other sinners saved by grace. 

Will I continue this blog? I think so, even if it's only for myself. I still love quilting and sewing, and plan to spend less time reading those stupid "AITJ" articles on social media and more time doing what and being with those I  love. This blog will still be scrappy, though, with bits and pieces of a journey that may not interest anyone else. So, if you're still around, thanks, and I will be blog-hopping again soon. If you've found this and hung around this long, I'm looking forward to meeting you!  

 


 


1 comment:

julieQ said...

How nice to hear from you!!! Many blessings...I am so glad you have come back to God...and quilting, too!