Wednesday, August 21, 2019

“Old age ain't no place for sissies.”-- Bette Davis

Good morning! I know it's still hot outside, but can you feel autumn coming? There's something about the light that lets me know fall is on its way. I was out weed-eating this morning, and, hot and humid as it is, it just feels different out there.

Yes, I was weed-eating!  I'm sure the neighbors will be grateful; some of those weeds were up to my waist! I was very careful, but it felt so good to diminish the abandoned look the house was beginning to take on. I probably should have left it til after Halloween, but I just couldn't stand it much longer. My eye is improving. I'm only on prednisone eye drops three time a day now, and there is a 4-week gap between doctor visits. I can drive in the daytime, as long as I tape that eye shut, which I also do with night driving, and anytime I need to read. The vision in that eye is still blurry, which interferes with my overall sight.  Still not able to see well enough to sew, so I think I may carry my Bernina in to be serviced. That hasn't been done in 4 1/2 years, though I've only really sewn maybe a total of a year, what with work, selling a house, buying a house, moving, etc.  Once I get the remaining cataract removed, and new glasses, I will be in hog heaven!  Unfortunately, life has thrown us a curve ball again. Isn't that always the way it is?

Image result for bette davis quote about aging

Jack was due to have a colonoscopy last week, but it had to be cancelled--again. If I haven't said, my husband is a stroke survivor, which occurred when he was 32. He (and I) have lived with this for almost 40 years now, and he gets along really well, considering his entire left side is paralyzed. He can walk with a cane, a splint, and a trunk/hip swing movement, but he can't walk and talk at the same time. He needs to concentrate on each step, or he'll fall.

Last Wed, in the wee hours of the morning, trying to quickly respond to the nature's call of the colonoscopy prep (need I say more?), he slipped and fell in the bathroom. I had to call our volunteer rescue squad because I couldn't get him up alone, and once they helped him to his feet, it was obvious he couldn't stand. X-rays showed a fractured left ankle. So they put a fiberglass splint on his leg, and admitted him to the hospital, because he obviously cannot function here. Friday afternoon they transferred him to a rehab facility, and we're looking at a 2-6 week stay. He has a walking boot now, so he can bear weight as tolerated, which isn't much, but better than a week ago. He's a very determined person who values his independence, so he will work hard to get home as quickly as possible. Just don't know how long until he can get around, and since for a week after cataract surgery I am not allowed to bend over, or lift more than 10 lbs, we will be postponing the procedure. We are such a pair--the half-lame and the half-blind!

I am SO looking forward to being able to see clearly again. I had so many projects planned for this summer, indoors and out, and had sorted out some of my UFOs to work on. Right now, I can't even thread a needle. You should see my try to put toothpaste on my toothbrush.  Good thing I'm standing over a sink!

A new friend decided to start a book club, so 4 of us got together last week for our first meeting. For this month, at least, we decided to all read the same book, although we might alternate months where we read our own choices and then report back to the group with recommendations. Our first book is an older one, so that we can all get copies in our small town. Fortunately, it's on Audible, so I can listen to it: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand. Darlene (our host) had read the book before, and suggested we start with that one, as she is happy to read it again. I listened to a sample and it sounds perfectly charming! I may start it this week, while Jack is being cared for at rehab. Soon enough, he'll be home and I'll have my hands full!


No comments: