Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Birthday

Yesterday was my birthday! I guess it really started on Saturday, when I was able to pick up my sewing machine from the shop and she runs like a dream! Funny how we can become accustomed to dysfunction until someone or something intervenes.

Anyway spent Sunday sewing and sewing and sewing.... Put the borders on this quilt top I started for us.

It's just to be one of those "wrap up on the sofa" kind of quilts, made entirely from my stash, except for the border. I couldn't find anything in my stash that was large enough and solid enough to do the border. A patterned fabric would have been to busy for it, and I think the solid green kind of reins it in and gives the eye a place to rest. It needs to be sandwiched, backed and basted, but I can't get down on the floor with my knee yet, and that's the only place large enough to spread it out. I think I'll just tie this one. That will leave it a little fluffy still.

After I put this one together a couple of months ago, I took the remaining 6 1/2" squares and separated them into color groups. Then I took the beiges and browns and put them together for another comfort quilt--this one lap sized, and made to be donated.


Anytime there's a small piece left from a project, or a fabric I am just getting tired of or can't remember WHAT was I THINKING?--I cut it into 6 1/2" squares first. Then 4 1/2", then 2 1/2", and if there is any left, 1 1/2" squares. (When I'm in my 80s I should have enough tiny ones for a postage stamp quilt.) Someone once said, "There is no ugly fabric; you just haven't cut it into small enough pieces yet."

Of course, my stash can't get smaller as long as I keep buying more fabric, but I just couldn't pass these up at the quilt shop yesterday:


The red fabric I bought to border this quilt, from a free pattern named "Wicked Easy." It'll be a community comfort quilt, too.


The thread I bought to start replacing some of the cheap thread I have from a long time ago. It's not good for my machine, and besides, if I'm going to put this much effort into something, I need good tools. The fat quarters--well, I couldn't pass them up. I don't have many kid-friendly fabrics and I need to make some preemie quiltlets--but that's another post.

Then I got this book from my daughter:

It had been on my Amazon wish list and I'd come very close to buying it already, as I had checked it out from the guild library and drooled over the photos.

Then my J-man ordered this for me from the Smithsonian Catalogue:


Detail of the chimes:




I love windchimes, as long as they're not too brassy or clangy. I like the mellow or musical chimes. This one was a winner!


My birthday dinner was to be at a Mediterranean restaurant in our little town, but they are closed on Sun. and Mon. (J-man is silently cheering). Then my second choice was shot down by the J-man who heard (probably from his barber) that the food is too pricey for what they serve. That's fine; DD and I will go when she comes to town. So, cashing in on the benefits of being a grown-up, we just had nachos for supper, followed by fried ice cream from Breyer's. It's not as good as the real stuff, but not bad for being able to buy it in the grocery store.

Guess we must return to adulthood today.

2 comments:

Kelli said...

Happy Birthday, Stephanie!!! The quilts you made are beautiful and how fun to have a new sewing machine!
I also like your new windchime...very pretty!
Kelli
p.s. thank you for sharing your favorite summer memories with me. I really enjoyed them! We used to play Red Light and Mother, May I too! Lots of fun!
Kelli

MightyMom said...

Happy Birthday!! Love the quilts! And the quote about ugly fabric. I have a clunker sewing machine that I'd inherited that drove me up the wall. I'd made a lap quilt with it stoping and starting the whole way...breaking thread everything. Then one anniversary Subvet bought me my Kenmore and it's been a dream ever since!! you don't realize how much frustration you're living with till it's gone.