Thursday, July 19, 2007

Not My Daddy's Dentist

I am a total dental-phobe. When I was 12 years old I had to be given some sort of sedative prior to going to the dentist's office. I have no idea why I was so terrified (well, NOW I know)--I can't remember anything particularly traumatic about going to the dentist, or anyone I know having a terrible time. It's just been this way as long as I can remember. Add to this one very small mouth ("Has anyone ever told you that you have a small mouth?" "Only those who try to cram their fingers into it."), and dormant TMJ (see above parenthetical comment) and it's easy to see why having quintuplets without benefit of so much as an aspirin would be preferable to darkening the doorway of my local tooth-puller.

Of course this is self-defeating, as putting off going to the dentist makes perfect sense to me, until it's been so long that I have just set myself up for a visit to the bowels of hell. My last 2 dentists and their staff showed remarkable patience with this patient, and I don't even care if they made fun of me after I left. Each of them suggested I replace the temporary "flipper" I had had for many years, but there was always a good reason not to--usually financial.

Come my relocation to Western North Carolina in 2003. I saw my dentist just before leaving the Southwest, so figured I could take my time shopping for a new one (read: procrastinate). Then came my wedding anniversary 2005 when I broke off part of my bottom front tooth, leaving a hole in the middle of my smile.



Grab the list of insurance-approved dentists and start calling. Of course, no one can see me for a couple of weeks. Grab the phone book, find someone close by and ta-dah! he has openings several mornings a week for emergencies. His motto in the phone book reads "not your daddy's dentist".





Wonderful staff. Straight-shooting dentist. Internet access at a beautiful desk in a cozy little waiting room with wing chairs and lamps. Murals on the walls, with every room a different theme (beach house, Elvis room, grassy meadow). Dimly-lit room with relaxing chair for pre-appointment jitters. Computer screens above the chairs that can be changed to play movies or the TV channel of your choice, and can display your new dental x-rays or just how much all this (luxury) work will cost you.

He did a beautiful job on that tooth. Everyone was so gentle, so friendly and understanding. I even shared with them my source for kitty-litter cake at Halloween:

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/dessert/cakes/kittylittercake.html




Fast forward 18 months or so. I broke the front teeth off my flipper--that's right, the 25-year-old "temporary" flipper. It's so old and so brittle, the acrylic can't be matched, and the dentist can't fix it. His best suggestion: superglue. And set up appointments to get all my dental work done. I glued. I set up appointments. They kindly made me a new temporary after the third break and superglue.

Today was the first of all the fillings to be removed, cavities filled, etc. No one told me it was to be a 3-hour appointment. No one remembered to order a pre-procedure anti-anxiety med. No one seemed to remember I was a dental phobe until I was hyperventilating in the chair after having my size XS mouth stretched to a size XL and needled without the benefit of a topical anesthetic.

Oh, well, let's keep going. Ooops, seems your tooth has developed an abscess and needs a root canal. Shall we do it today? You might not have trouble with it for a year, or it could be killing you in 2 days. Only $1200 more than we'd planned. (Sure, why not?) Stick your tongue over here--spit stops the bleeding. (I HAVE no spit--you've suctioned it all out.) Move your tongue over. (Thon? Wha thon? I dhon' thin' I haf a thon'.) Are you breathing through your nose? (I'm trying!) Put your finger here and hold this ~torture device~ in place while we leave the room. 'Click' goes the x-ray machine. Repeat above. Repeat. Okay, Stephanie, that's all we're going to do today. (You bet your sweet bippy it is). L___ will have your prescriptions at the front desk and can make you another 3-hr appointment to get more of this work done.

I grab the prescriptions, my receipt, mumble something polite and leave. Maybe I'll call next week and make that appointment.


At my worker's comp medical appointment 1 hr later, my blood pressure was 142/90.

No, Dr. S___, you're not my daddy's dentist. Today you were my GRANDfather's dentist!

No comments: