Monday, November 05, 2007

Beware this Movie




Just got an email from a friend about a movie being released Dec. 7, entitled "The Golden Compass." I checked it out on Snopes.com, and it's true. This movie is based on the first of a trilogy written by a British atheist, who stated the purpose of his books was to "kill God" in the minds of children.

Here is the link:
http://snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp

Now, I like the Harry Potter books, and I don't have a problem reading them. But this man does not believe in God, hates C.S. Lewis and the "Narnia" books, and this first movie is a watered-down version of his first book. They get worse.

Please pass this on to those with children or grandchildren so they will be forewarned about this movie.

6 comments:

inspired said...

Thank you for that warning :o]

MightyMom said...

I"ve come across this warning in a couple of places.

Hootin Anni said...

I've not heard of this. But it's a good, useful warning. I believe that all movies are fiction!!! And [when our kids were small] let them view controversial movies and read books --only because I feel that it's a learning process and will constitute a family discussion on the WRONGS in a movie.

Life, outside the home, is not always good and peaceful, and kids need to see and hear the negative from us, but we need not shield them from the outside world...only so we can THEN discuss it for the better judgements.

Stephanie D said...

I agree that we need to discuss things like this movie with our children, but how many parents are going to just drop off their kids at the movies without seeing it themselves? How many parents are going to do the research to read that this man has stated the meaning behind his books is to "kill God"?

Apparently the first movie is a bit watered down, and the message subtle enough to get the kids to ask for the books for Christmas, and numbers 2 and 3 are more blatant in their delivery, but the kids are hooked by then.

I disagree with a friend of mine who never let her boys read the Harry Potter books, and those are about good triumphing over evil, basically. I believe there is a lot there to be discussed. However, I don't want my money to support this guy, and I think most parents, if they knew, would feel the same way.

Carole Burant said...

I've heard about this movie and the author...I would never spend a penny to go see that movie or read one of his books! I can't believe that Hollywood is making it sound like a great movie for children...all they care about is the mighty dollar. Good warning, Stephanie! xox

Nunnie's Attic said...

I got an email about this movie too. Absolute shame.

Thank you so much for dropping by and entering my giveaway. Did someone refer you? Because if so, I want to give that person an extra entry. And if you post a link (and you can use the picture) referring someone and they mention it, I'll put an extra entry in for you too! Thank you again. Nice to meet you and Good Luck!

Love,
Julie