Friday, January 18, 2008

Home again

We had SNOW! LOTS of snow! Well, lots for us, anyway. Up to 6 inches in places. Enough that the schools closed, the little mom and pop shops didn't open, and some of us had to bunk in at the hospital.

Since we had advance notice, I was able to pack extra scrubs and an overnight bag. I knew the interstate would be fine, but the local roads wouldn't be easily navigated that hour of the morning, and I live on a little mountain. No problem, I can just stay in an empty room.

Wrong. The case manager said the patient rooms hadn't been released, and the sleep center rooms were already committed. What was left? 4 cubicles off the emergency room. One had two cribs in it, one had a bed, one had a stretcher, and one had a chair. She thought she could get us mats for the floor. But she couldn't promise we would be able to get a shower. WHAT????? For this, they want me to stay so I can work the next night? Come on, we're not talking Hurricane Katrina, here. Just a little snow and ice.

So I booked a room at the Days Inn next exit up. Four miles away. Interstate is clear, rooms are plenty, there's a coffee pot just for me, and a SHOWER. The receptionist was very nice. She gave me a 10% discount. She put me on the back side of the motel, across from the pool and away from the noise, no one above me or for several rooms around me. Nice and quiet. My own thermostat. My own blankets. 3 pillows just for me. No sleeping on the floor. No sharing the remote. Days Inn, I love you.



No reason not to sleep well, right? Except that pesky sleep apnea. And I forgot my meds, so no sleeping pill, no Claritin-D. It was the worst day's sleep I've had in months.

Thank goodness for a moderately busy night and a new orientee. Otherwise it would have been so difficult to stay alert. Today the roads were clear in most places, my driveway melted clear, and tomorrow it's supposed to snow again. But I am safe and warm in my own house, with my own sweet little cold-nosed barker, my snoring, blanket-hogging husband, my meds, 3 flavors of coffee, my sewing machine and stash, a new DVD--and 4 nights off.

Life is good.

3 comments:

Rosa said...

Glad you survived the snow. Good for you to get a room "at the inn" so to speak. The hospital should pay for it, yea right. Thank you so much for your kind words for my brother. He is doing better. yay! Bless you.

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. The older I get, the more I dread sleeping in hotels...or anywhere other than my bed.
Glad you're home safe now. Hope you get lots of good sleep and fun crafting done.

MightyMom said...

what??? no empty rooms at a hospital???? goood grief!!! what lousy service!! and yes, I'm with rosa, you should be at least partially reimbursed for expenses....oh well.

hey, this new facility I'm in has a shower in the female staff locker room. we were discussing stashing scrubs in our lockers today as it's supossed to freeze tonight......