Friday, May 22, 2009

7 Quick Takes Friday

Every week, Jennifer at Conversion Diary hosts 7 Quick Takes Friday--bits and pieces of your week that don't inspire a whole blog to themselves. Check it out here.

1. No major events, disasters, mistakes, weather news, etc. makes for a nice peaceful week, but boring blogging.

2. I'm working on my lawn this year, trying to get it whipped into shape, and along comes the AT&T dude and makes orange stripes on my yard and driveway. And I don't even USE AT&T. Even cutting the grass didn't get the stripes out. At least he could have done it in the flower beds for more color!

3. I'm checking around for some good hummus recipes, as I am currently craving fresh veggies and hummus. My favorites are a chipotle blend I found at the grocery store, and one with pine nuts, but at over $4.00/container, it's time to make my own.

4. The truck market and tailgate market are both open again. One is on Thurs. from 3-6 (where I got the prawn last year), and the other on Saturday mornings from about 7am til noon. Not much is available yet, besides herbs and flowering plants, baked goods and home canned items, but it won't be long before the parking lots are filled with fresh fruits and veggies. One of my favorite vendors makes awesome pickled okra, and yummy fig preserves, but she didn't have any last weekend. She promised to locate the other jars and bring them in, and I told her I'm holding her to that because DD loves pickled okra and.....

5. DD is coming home for the weekend!! We haven't seen her since Christmas, and she's had a tough month, so she's coming home for some parental pampering. Lisa at work was sweet enough to swap nights with me so I'll have Sat. and Sun. nights off before DD leaves Monday morning---taking whatever jars of pickled okra happen to be in the pantry.

6. In preparation for her homecoming, I finally got around to replacing the burnt-out light by the garage--or tried to. As soon as I put my hand up there to unscrew the bulb, a couple of wasps buzzed a warning at me. I apologized profusely--then zapped them with the can of wasp and hornet spray and took off into the house. Today I was able to replace the bulb without argument.
Moral of this story? Don't wait 2 weeks in the spring to replace an outside bulb, or the little buzzers will think you've invited them to move in.

7. Have you seen this new blog? It's entitled "Crafting for Health" and involves stories of how crafting has made a difference in the mental and sometimes physical health of the crafter. All the entries so far are terrific, but the latest really hit home with me. The statements "When we create we are defying destruction", and " It doesn’t matter what you create. It doesn’t have to win awards. It doesn’t even have to be pretty. It’s not about the finished product. It’s about taking the creative journey" were so right on with how I feel when I walk into my sewing room and lose myself in fabric--even for a few minutes.

3 comments:

*karendianne. said...

What a really cool thing you did here. I'll have to return a second time. I wonder if you'll mind if I copy this idea? *karendianne. the copycat, hanger-outer, loiter-er, occassional midnight thief-er and some other things I can't think up at the moment...

Libby said...

Hope you have a wonderful and relaxing weekend with your daughter - nothing like having them home to pamper just a bit *s*

One of my favorite things when we lived in NC was buying fresh shrimp on the weekends - I miss it, still.

Karen said...

Lots of interesting thoughts! Thanks for sharing :)