Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Off night #5

Well, did you see? Amanda typed "raindrops" into quiltshop.com and found my fabric for me! I'm just waiting til my daughter gets back to me before ordering it, in case she wants me to back it with something else I need to order. Meanwhile, doing the happy dance!

Finished piecing the baby quilt top today, and now I need to decide on a backing and binding. Since I was trying to make it scrappy and from my stash, I'm trying to find a piece big enough to do the whole thing, but as I said before, I don't have a lot of pastels (except pink; I was on a pink streak last year), so I might just have to trek on down to the lqs and find something there. But it was a nice, rainy day, and as I sewed I listened to a few favorite CD's.


Anyone out there remember Nilsson's "The Point"? It was on TV many years ago, and the song "Me and My Arrow" came from that. It has to be one of my favorite CD's of all times. We had the 8-track (yes, I lived that long ago) and a few years back I found the CD on Amazon.com. My favorite song on there is:

"Think About Your Troubles"

Sit beside the breakfast table
Think about your troubles
Pour yourself a cup of tea
Then think about the bubbles.
You can take your teardrops
And drop 'em in a teacup
Take 'em down to the riverside
And throw 'em over the side
To be swept up by a current,
Then taken to the ocean
To be eaten by some fishes,
Who were eaten by some fishes
And swallowed by a whale,
Who grew so old,
He decomposed.
He died, and left his body
To the bottom of the ocean.
Now, everybody knows
That when a body decomposes,
The basic elements
Are given back to the ocean,
And the sea does what it oughtta
And soon there's salty water,
Which is not too good for drinkin'
'Cause it tastes just like a teardrop
So we run it through a filter
And it comes out from a faucet
Where it pours into a teapot
Which is just about to bubble.
Now, think about your troubles.


I just love that little song!

"The Point", for those of you who have never seen or heard it, is about a little round-headed boy who lives in a town of pointy-headed people. He and his dog, Arrow, ("because Arrow was found guilty of complicity") were banished to the Pointless Forest, where everything and everyone has a point. I guess you can make it about anything you want, but I see it as being about the uniqueness of each individual. It's a child's tale, but like most enduring children's stories, has a message adults can appreciate.

Anyway, it's the end of another mini vacation day, and to celebrate, here is a recipe for you. Cooking is not my strong suit, so trying to cook EVERY night has been a hassle. But I found a recipe I haven't used in a while--honey mustard chicken. It's easy, it keeps the chicken from drying out and you can cook it in the oven or the microwave.

Honey Mustard Chicken

2 1/2 - 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/4 C honey
2 Tbsp Dijon-style mustard
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp ground hot red pepper
If you didn't use boneless, skinless chicken, remove skin and visible fat from the portions. Arrange chicken in single layer in baking dish. Stir together remainder of ingredients in small cup until well mixed. Brush chicken with half of the mixture.
If baking in oven, place in preheated 450 degree oven and immediately reduce temp to 375 degrees. Bake 30 minutes, turn chicken and baste with half of the remaining mixture; after 45 minutes in the oven, baste with remainder of mixture. Cook aprox. 10 more minutes and serve. (Total cooking time = 55 minutes.)

If using microwave, baste with half of mixture, and cook on medium to medium high for 10 minutes. Pour off fluid, turn chicken and baste with remaining mixture and cook on medium to medium high 7-10 minutes until cooked through.

That's it! So easy, so tender! I served it with brown rice, an apple/carrot/craisin salad, and green pigeon peas.

Guess I'll go mop the floor. Tomorrow that will seem preferable to doing the taxes, so I need to remove that "temptation". I am SUCH a procrastinator.

3 comments:

jacquie said...

Stephanie,
I can't believe you posted about The Point. I have the album...yes the vinyl. I didn't think any one else in the world remembered this or even liked it. I love so many of the songs. Thanks for bringing up a great memory. I just may dust it off and play it tomorrow.

Libby said...

Harry Nilsson is big around my house . . . Hubby enjoys all of his music and my brother has made a special request for Nilsson music at his memorial service (a long, long time from now *s*)

MightyMom said...

sigh, it was back to work last night but I sure did enjoy my mini vvacation....got something finished too!!

will post for show and tell.........................