Saturday, September 19, 2009

Finishes and more Halloween stuff

In the spirit of autumn and Halloween, I finished a couple of items this week.

First is the table topper I started a couple of years ago for a co-worker who rides motorcycles with her husband, and who also loves Halloween. I got stuck on sandwiching and quilting it (the usual sticking point), but took my inspiration from Jacquie's blog and went unconventional on the quilting:


Being able to fussy cut the bikers and then the quilting prompted the name I gave this quilt: Points of Impact.

I got a squeal and a couple of hugs from her, and she seemed sincere, so I hope she liked it.

Next is the apron from the panels I won off Mary's blog:

Remember, I was going to use the trivet panels for pockets on the apron? Well, the pockets would have obstructed so much of the cute picture I just couldn't do it, so I made the scented trivet just as the instructions suggested. Here is the trivet before stuffing:

And here it is, stuffed and sewn shut:


The instructions included the recipe for stuffing with rice and whole cloves with allspice and scented oil. It was so easy, and smelled so good, I'm seriously thinking of making a bunch of these for Christmas gifts at work, using Christmas and winter fabrics.
It wouldn't take any time at all to sew up a dozen or so, and then wait until early December to stuff and give them, so the scent is as fresh as possible.

Lastly, I found these at a yard sale last weekend:

Perfect for the Halloween party! I haven't decided if I'll spray paint the brass candleholder with black paint yet or not, but I will be scouring yard sales for more possibilities.

And WalMart had these on clearance from their summer items:

The colors are just right, and I can see chips in the bowls and other items on the plates, including a small version of Puking Pumpkin with avocado dip, straight from Extreme Halloween. Puking Pumpkin is a new tradition at my house and I have to keep finding new ways to display him.

I have the weekend off, and will be working on Halloween props, so I'm hoping to have more photos for you later.

Be sure to scroll down to play this week's Movie Trivia Game!

3 comments:

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

What fun! I love the bikers/Halloween and perfect for the improvsional quilting style!

Great idea for the Christmas gifties--I love it when a plan come together :)

Cathi said...

Watching you get ready for Hallowe'en makes me grin!!
Your Christmas gift ideas sound super!

MightyMom said...

yeah, I wondered how on earth you were gonna put pockets on top of that design!!

the trivets sound yummy

squeals are usually a good sign.