Saturday, January 30, 2010

Hotel Life

The snow has stopped, for the moment at least, though they had said it would snow all day until about 6pm.  It wasn't snowing at 4:15 this morning, either.  Guess how I know that.

I'd forgotten how hard it can be to sleep in a hotel room. The bed is too soft and slopes towards the edges, and I tried to find the balance between sleeping in the middle and stretching the C-PAP tubing enough to pull the machine off the bedside table.  I did okay, actually.  No C-PAP was harmed in the making of my night.
The microwave almost was, though. It's not working because the door won't catch, apparently.  That's the message on the front when I try to start it: "door". But the light inside works exceptionally well. Once I got up and turned it a little sideways in its cubicle, everything was hunky-dory.

At 2:42, my phone rang.  J-Man woke up and found my message.  Yes, the phone was by his bed, but he slept through 3 calls. (!) He was fine, no fever, and the power was still on. I reminded him to plug in his cell phone when he actually got up, and then we both went back to sleep.

At 4:15 I woke up again.  One of the lab gals  said that someone had volunteered to shuttle people from the hotel to the hospital starting about 6am, but she has to be at work at 5, and she wasn't sure if she could make it.  I'd told her to call me and I'd throw some clothes on and drive her up there in my 4-wheel drive, because I could go back to bed and sleep all day if need be.   

I got up and checked my top to see if it was dry.  In my haste I forgot to pack daytime clothes for today, and about 8pm I realized I had packed extra socks and underthings, and I could really wear the jeans again for a few hours, but I had no shirt to wear. Did you know shampoo is multi-functional?

When I realized she wasn't going to call, I fell back to sleep.  At 6:15, some alarm went off. And off. I think someone tried to go out an emergency exit, because, although there was running, there was a lot of laughing and no smoke. Part of me thought about staying awake until 6:30, when the continental breakfast was served, but the sleepy part reminded me I had a package of bagels, and some cream cheese and boiled eggs in the fridge, and the much-appreciated coffee pot in the room.  Once everyone left for work, it got quiet again and I had the best sleep between 6:45 and 9:23.

After calling Jack and reminding him (again) to plug in his cell phone, I poured my coffee and pulled out the cream cheese and boiled eggs.  I noticed the eggs were cracked, but hey, it was a bumpy ride and I made lots of trips from the car to the room. They weren't just cracked, they were burst.  As in frozen-burst.  As was a can of diet Coke.  The cream cheese is frozen, too.  I think maybe I turned the refrigerator thermostat a tad too low.

But the coffee was nice and hot.  I stirred in my sweetener and let it sit a moment while I placed the cream cheese container on top of the coffee pot to warm.  The eggs are in their plastic baggy, floating in a sink of warm water.  The coke is sitting on a washcloth on the bathroom counter, steadily fizzing and leaking.  And my  biodegradable plasticware has started biodegrading.

I don't think I get out enough.


Penny said...

Frankly, I think that sounds hideous. I can see why you appreciate being home!

Pat said...

poor Stephanie, trying to *live away* from home during the storm! did you at least pack your favorite quilt?!

MightyMom said...

well could be worse, could be boring!!


sleep well.

AnnieO said...

Sounds like an adventure--but not a fun one! You're one dedicated employee. I don't sleep well in hotel rooms either. They're either too hot or too cold, the pillows too soft or too hard, and the thought of how many people have slept in that bed makes me a little nauseous if I think about it too much! Hope you're back home and safe again soon.

Libby said...

Oh dear - what a challenge you've had. Still it sounds like you are mostly coping with humor *s* Hopefully things will be back to normal soon!

Karen said...

I hope you're getting more sleep tonight!!

audreypawdrey said...

Oh, wow! It did not sound like a pleasant morning, and there is not much that is worse than a frozen diet coke right when you really want one.;)

Cathi said...

Your sense of humour is shining through this post! Hotel/motel life sounds quite exhausting!

cockermom said...

Reminds me of the old days as a locum tenum nurse, I would get to the new location about midnight. My supposedly furnished place would have all my furniture, but no light bulbs or toilet paper! Of course, new town, have no idea where a store know the drill. I learned to pack tp and candles to start with! But I wouldn't trade the experience or the stories for anything!
You take care of yourself.

julieQ said...

Wow, adventures in nursing...or trying to get to the hospital to nurse! I never heard of biodegradable spoons before...hmmm, guess I need to get a bit more green!

Karen said...

Love your new background :)

The Frog Queen said...

LOL! Wow you can bend plastic spoons with your mind!?!? :D

Anyway - got a nifty award for you over on my blog. Check it out when you get a chance!