Thursday, July 12, 2007

Herbs and Such

For the last 2-3 summers, I've grown herbs in pots on my back deck. I've never had a successful garden before, unless it was in containers. In the southwest, my lawn was in such bad shape after the sprinkler system broke, I couldn't even grow weeds--just dirt. But here, it's so green, and it rains (though not enough this year) and there are flowers in my yard. I really want to have a beautiful yard, full of flowers and herbs and items that cast interesting shadows. First I have to work on improving the soil, and now it's too hot to do that. (I'm such a wimp in hot weather) Come fall, I'll work my patootie off.

For now, though, I grow herbs in pots on my deck. I almost lost them while I was laid up with the knee, because I couldn't get out there to water them, and DH couldn't keep it up. And it's been SO hot and dry. But somehow they kept the faith, struggled along, and now I'm trying to make it up to them. I have oregano, basil, dill, mint, chives, cilantro, lavender, lemon balm, and others I can't remember unless I go look at the tags. Which of course, tells you just how much I use them. You see, I really don't like to cook. Cooking may be a creative endeavor for some, but for me it's just a chore. If I plan ahead, and follow a menu, I will add some herbs, and if I have iced tea, I'll go clip some mint leaves. Mostly, though, I'm content to water them and prune them and rearrange them, and just enjoy the fact that they grow. That I don't kill them! >


Deck herbs Deck herbs 2 More herbs Chamomile

No comments: