Friday, July 20, 2007

Show and Tell

Okay, Kelli, thanks for the hosting of Show and Tell Friday (http://kellishouse.blogspot.com/).

Here's my very first entry.

Meet Tandi, bought from Charlotte Cocker Rescue in March:






My beloved little mutt, Libby, was hit by a car and died in my arms March 5. I'd raised her from puppyhood, and had her almost 11 years. She was my "empty nest" substitute. I cried every day for weeks, and even the J-man found it hard to get ice out of the fridge, because she would come running from wherever she was to get a piece of ice.




I just couldn't bear the "empty" house, so told J-man I wanted another dog. He was agreeable, so I began searching petfinder.com for a cocker spaniel. I always thought Libby was a cocker at heart, because they have the traits I found so endearing in her: People-dog, loves everyone; loves to play, forever puppies; not too large to travel.

After applying with several organizations, and communicating by email and phone, we met up with Donna, Larry, Regina and Regina's husband outside a Charlotte, NC restauant and chose this 3-year-old little gal to take home.



She's a full-blooded cocker spaniel, abandoned by her owners because of an underbite (think bulldog) that renders her undesirable for breeding. It's a shame, because I think her little underbite is adorable.





We hated her name, so decided, new life, new name. I didn't want the usual names, (J-man suggested the ultimate cliche: Lady), so was racking my brain thinking of names that would fit her. Since she was so timid, I was trying to think of something upbeat, positive, kind of like "Tawanda!" from "Fried Green Tomatoes". J-man suggested "Tandy" after Jessica Tandy, one of our favorite actresses. Perfect! So she is Tandi, with an 'i' to note her gender.

She still has a long way to go (read: Remedial Housebreaking), but she is by far the most affectionate dog I've ever known. Here she is, bringing her favorte toy, Squeaky Football, for Mom to throw AGAIN!




Tandi is a little cuddle-bug, and hardly left my side when I was confined to the sofa with my knee.


She has a charming way of putting her paw on my face when we snuggle, and she's even learning to be gentle about it. lol


I can smile through my tears when I think of Libby now.

10 comments:

Pen of Jen said...

Oh, I can relate. We are going to put our tumor filled American Eskimo down tomorrow. But we went to the pound and rescued a basset hound( named Sandy) so the kids would have a new friend.

It has been very emotional, because our Sasha has been here with all the kids.

Thanks for sharing.

Sheri said...

Tandi is just adorable!

Kelli said...

What a wonderful show and tell! I'm sorry to hear about Libby but I'm glad that Tandi is such a sweet new friend. She is just adorable!!

Kelli

LBP said...

What a precious dog. She's so lucky you have adopted her.

Linda

Amanda said...

I'm sorry about Libby, but Tandy is adorable. Jessica Tandy is my favourite actress too!

Anonymous said...

What a sweetheart!

MightyMom said...

Hi There!! Thanks for coming by my blog. I love your place here. We do get attached to our pets don't we. I still cry over my dog, she's been gone since 86. Sometimes I think my cat has channeled her spirit ;-)

Susan said...

Glad you found Tandi and Tandi found you. A perfect match I'd say.
Susan

Linda aka yellowroseli said...

I just love your little Tandi. I know how hard it must have been to lose Libby.I also put my Empty Nest cure on my Show and Tell today. Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

Sweet post!