Sunday, July 15, 2007

Yard Sale Goodies

After getting off work this morning, I saw a yard sale being set up across the street by a Seventh Day Adventist Youth Group. I certainly wasn't expecting to hit a yard sale today, but there it was, so my truck turned in there of its own volition. Saw a lady putting a wheelbarrow in her truck. DARN! I need a wheelbarrow. They weren't due to open til 9 am, but you don't start unloading in front of an off-going shift if you want to keep to the plan. There were at least 3 of us there, still in our scrubs, poking through piles and watching every box that came off the trucks.

This was the first yard sale I've been to this year. I really don't want to start cluttering up my house again, and it's easier if I just don't go to them. So, heeding Flylady's advice, if I don't love it, I don't keep it, and if I bring something in, something must go out. Fortunately I've been a good girl, taking several boxes to a charity the last two months, so I could justify my purchases. Or rationalize. Whichever.

Anyway, here's what I got for $2.50:



I don't know that I NEED another bag, but this one is so big and roomy and I can certainly use it. Besides, I liked the fabric!



And the bottle? Well, it goes with the several decanters and bottles we've had for years; some since we first got married.




The wooden sleigh had old, dusty, crumbly florist's foam and little decorations on picks, but I cleaned it up, and I'm thinking a plaid napkin or scrap of blanket-looking cloth and some wrapped candies, or small ornaments or something.





The votive/candleholder was very heavy, a very thick glass. I don't know if it's very old, but I liked the lines and I can always use non-seasonal candleholders. And the coup de grace was that fabulous Christmas box.




It was in excellent condition, very sturdy, and cute as it could be. I thought it would make a great Christmas wrapping for a special gift, but I'm not sure I can part with it.




All in all, not a bad haul!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! one of those blue bottles of yours i had in brown!!!! i wonder if its in the basement?! you got some wonderful finds and its always fun to get a deal, eh?!

:)

Kelli said...

You got a lot for $2.50! The green bottle matches perfectly and the snowman box is tooo cute!
Kelli