Saturday, May 03, 2008

Saturday Night at the Movies

When I was a teen in Alabama, one of the local stations played movies each weekend, under the title above. I remember the camera panning the steps up to a lovely antebellum home, as if you were entering, and at the end, descending again. They played a haunting melody, and I was sure there was no music as beautiful as this,.
Years later, a romantic movie featured this melody, and I discovered it was Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini. I'd always thought it was written for the program.

Here is a YouTube video of someone playing this melody. (I don't know her, but I was looking for the piano rendition and this one is so well done.)



Do you know the movie? I'll post the answer on Tuesday.

1 comment:

Steph said...

I knew it before I even clicked on the video. Somewhere in Time. I love this film and CAN NOT watch it without weeping. This is one of my favorite classical pieces. Good choice!!!