Tuesday, August 21, 2007

H,

H--Hot air balloons! (See previous post)



Home centers and hardware stores. Those places just fascinate me. I can wander around them for hours looking at gadgets and tools. Several years ago I took a basic home repair course from the community education part of our (then) local university. It was so very helpful, and I loved buying new tools. Before the course was over, I was forced to redo our bathroom. I took out the vanity and sink, helped install new ones, hung a new medicine cabinet (3 sections, very pretty) installed drywall and repaired part of other wall, helped install a new bathtub and the plumbing and lighting. I didn't install the commode or the tile--there are some things best left to the experts--but I did assist. And then painted it all. It turned out really well, though it took months to finish, since we could only do it as we had the money. Then we sold the house. Now that I know I can do it if I have to, I really don't have to, and since I'm no expert, I figure my time is best spent doing what I do well, and not robbing someone else of a job. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Housebreaking. Hear that thump, thump, thump thump? That's me, banging~~my head~~against~~the wall. It's been 2 weeks since we had the dog trainer over, and Tandi is better, but now has discovered the litter box and I guess she decided she needed to mark it as her territory, so she's peed twice in a place she never did before. Now she barks or whines to get out of her crate, but it's not always to go potty--sometimes she just wants out. And she's finally started ringing the bell at the door, but sometimes it's just because she wants the treat. Thump, thump.



Halloween! My DD laughs that I will work Christmas, Thanksgiving, my birthday, etc, but the two days I always request off are the Oscars and Halloween! Now, before you frown and give me the pagan holiday lecture, let me say that might have been how it all started, but that's not what it means to me, nor to most people I know. I respect your opinion, but my enjoyment of Halloween goes back MANY years--as a teenager when I first had my crush on J-man. That's another story.


Anyway, we moved into this house the week before Halloween '03, and I knew where all my stuff was so we could decorate right away. Each year I've added more and more, and have to start earlier and earlier in the month to get it all out.



I usually carve about 15 or so pumpkins, and Puking Pumpkin is a staple, with variations. (Last year he puked on another pumpkin's head. Never underestimate the attraction of the "gross" factor. Green food coloring mixed with the pumpkin insides and a few gummy worms for added nausea. 8^P )



My hands hurt by 5 pm, but it's worth it to see all their faces. Even the adults love to come by, and last year one of my teenage visitors told me it was all "SWWEEET". The ultimate compliment.

I am getting a little antsy this year, because it's only a little over 2 months away, and I'm just now beginning to figure out how to accomplish the theme I've decided on. Time to start hitting the yard sales for supplies! That's the nice thing about Halloween--you can do a lot with cheap stuff!



Black twin sheets to hang in the window: $2.00 each from Wal-Mart.
Plain white masks--10/$1.00 (can't remember where)
White gloves stuffed with leftover batting--25 cents at yard sale.
White gauze over white satin for ghost: discarded wedding dress at yard sale.
Black light--$14.00 (I think) used year after year after year.....


One head of cauliflower in the top of a pumpkin--? from the grocery store.
Red and blue food coloring applied with a toothpick.
Black trash bag on a log cut from a fallen tree.
Voila--Brained pumpkin!



Halloween 2007?? Wait and see!

1 comment:

MightyMom said...

too cute! how very creative, Halloween is my Step-mom's fav holiday. She goes all out too! love the pumpkins!! I'm gonna email this post to her, she'll love it.