Friday, August 17, 2007

Show and tell

Kelli is hosting her customary Show and Tell Friday. Click the logo to see some fun items and meet new folks!

I love hot air balloons. Many years ago, in Alabama, I took toddler DD to a park fair/event. Present were a couple of hot air balloons, though how they lifted on a hot muggy summer day is beyond me. I couldn't get very close, but absolutely fell in love with them.

Fast forward a few years. We moved to Albuquerque, NM, which, to my delight, is the Hot Air Balloon Capital of the World! The first through second weekends of each October is their fiesta, with hundreds of balloons aloft. I began collecting hot air balloons in that mecca.
Now we live in North Carolina, and I miss seeing the balloons, so I have to surround myself with them here.

Here are a few of my balloons:

This clock hangs in my sewing room, as do most of the items.






A pretty little wind chime with beautiful sounds.


Light switch in my sewing room:


A wall-hanging bought for me by my best friend:


A Gallileo thermometer, bought off eBay:


The license plate on the front of my truck:


I have more--balloons pins, necklace, paperweight, and am working on a hot air balloon quilt--but these are enough for now.

Several years ago J-man gave me money at Christmas for a hot air balloon ride. But a friend was in straits and I loaned it to them, and they were never able to repay me. So then J-man gave me a certificate for a hot air balloon ride, but the last 3 autumns, every date we set was ruined by weather. I'm hoping to go up this fall, and have tried to set my weekends up so I will have more than a couple of options. Keeping my fingers crossed that the next photos of hot air balloons (and I already have LOTS) will be from inside the basket!

(edited 2314 8/17)

10 comments:

Kelli said...

This is such a neat collection!! Your hot air balloons are wonderful and I especially love your windchime! Thank you for sharing them with us!
Kelli

Susie said...

What an interesting collection!
I enjoyed seeing all the different items in this theme!
I've been up once in a hot air balloon and it was a thrilling experience. (We live near the Napa Valley where they are quite common)
:)

Susan said...

Oh I love your balloon collection. Since you like balloons I invite you to visit my Show & Tell #14 on July 6th when I introduced out Hot Air Balloon Suzy Blue and then posts on July 7 and July 28th about some of our adventures with her.
Susan

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Oh, I hope you DO get to go up in a hot air balloon this time! Your collection is great, and how wonderful to be in Albuquerque in October! I only heard about that balloon fest a couple years ago, and since then one of my goals is to see that one time; another is go to up in a balloon myself. I hope this will be your year!

Anonymous said...

During the summer we see hot air balloons flying over the St Michelle winery here in Washington - It is so pretty to see them floating by. Great collection.

LBP said...

Great collection. Hope you will soom be up, up and away in your beautiful balloon.

Linda

Julieann said...

That is the neatest collection--thank you so much for sharing it!!

Julieann

Stephanie D said...

Susan, I have been lurking at your site, and actually left you a message on 7/28 about your balloon. I think I even said I'd have to post pictures of part of my collection someday!

Anonymous said...

I see Susan has sent you over to read about Suzy Blue! I was going to ask if you knew Susan and send you there too!! hahaha.

The theme for VBS this year was hot air balloons, Sonshine loved it...but now he thinks Skylar the Squirrell is in every balloon he sees!! ;-)

Anonymous said...

What a neat and unique collection! I hope you do get to go up!