Friday, September 07, 2007

Fair entries--Show and Tell

Hurray, it's Show and Tell Friday over at Kelli's place--"There's No Place Like Home"! Click on that logo to the left, and enjoy the eye candy! Here's my Show and Tell.

Well, as I said in my last post, I decided to enter a couple of my wallhangings into the regional fair this year--my first ever competition. Tues. was the last day we could enter anything, so I planned to finish hand-sewing the binding down and take it over after getting off work Tues. morning. Usually there's a lull between about 1am and 4am, but not that night. No problem, I'll just finish it after work, because it would be 9am before they'd accept it anyway. Oops--forgot to bring needles! Dashed over to Wal-Mart, picked up some needles, then parked in the parking lot at the fair and spent 1 1/2 hour in the increasing heat, sewing down the binding, and attaching labels to the back.

Here is a photo of the "window" quilt I entered:


It's draped across my cutting table at home, before finishing the binding.



At an estate sale, I bought a tin of old jewelry bits and pieces that someone had obviously intended to craft with. I took old clip earrings and pulled the 'curtains' back with them when I finished the binding. The fabric is from the State Park line of, I believe, Northcott's fabric line. I think the name is either Blue Ridge Mountains or Smoky Mountain state park. I used the attic windows layout, but hate y-seams, so used half-square triangles to make the window sashings. It's machine-pieced and hand-quilted. I used metallic thread for the water--I think you can click on the photo and see it.


The second item was one I've shown before--it's the apple wall-hanging I designed for my house. All items had to be made between last September and this September to be eligible, and I started this at last year's Apple Festival.


See the worm? My own little joke. Was he in the apple just eaten? Or did he eat the apple?


Judging was Wed. and I haven't heard anything, so probably didn't place. But it was fun, and it's the first time I've publicly displayed anything I did, so that alone was an accomplishment for me. I'm planning on going either tonight or tomorrow, so will report back then. Wish me luck?

12 comments:

LadySnow said...

Those are beautiful! I have never seen a window quilt before. ;)

MightyMom said...

LUCK LUCK LUCK!!
Oh my gosh, I love them!!

WHAT A GREAT JOB!!

I'm way impressed!!! The best part is the curtains over the window and how they hang lower than the quilt!! It's really awesome!!

The worm is great!!!!!!!


And thank you for weighing in on the tinkle contest! You're tops on my list!!

someone else said...

Those are really nice. The window quilt is a cool idea. I've never heard of it before.

Stephanie D said...

Actually, MightyMom, when I use the earrings to hold the curtains back, they aren't lower than the "window" any more, but maybe it won't look too bad if I just let them hang. Thanks!

Carole Burant said...

Now you've got me wondering about that worm!!! LOL Love it! Such beautiful work you do and if I was one of the judges at the fair, I'd give your pieces first place:-) xo

Susan said...

Those are really cute. I think the apple is precious.
Susan

Reviekat said...

Such beautiful work! I especially like the window quilt with the lace curtains. :)

Kelli said...

Wow! I love the window quilt...how beautiful! The apple wallhanging is too cute!
Kelli

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Beautiful quilt! If I were the judge, you would have won!

The apple wall hanging is too cute, love the worm!

Katherine

Pear tree cottage! said...

0! you are so lucky to be able to quilt as you do....beautiful

One day I am going to get my sewing machine out and just try!!

I adore the apple quilt piece very autumn (fall)

lovely show & tell.
Lee-ann ~ Australia

Angela - Life w/ Two Busy Boys said...

You are SOO talented. My show & tell was a quilt that someone gifted me.

Michelle said...

I love the apple quilt!