Friday, September 07, 2007

Friday night supper

I know I do well to get in 2 posts a week, much less 2 in a day, but I made a squash casserole from a new recipe and it was wonderful! So I just had to share the recipe. I think I got it from an online newsletter I subscribe to: "I'm Not Martha", but don't remember, so if I'm shorting someone on credit, I apologize. Researching it on Google showed the exact recipe from an old Southern Living Magazine.
Here is the recipe, and in parentheses are my modifications:

Zippy Squash Casserole

5 large yellow squash
2 T butter
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I didn't have only cheddar--used cheddar/Monterey Jack)
1 medium onion chopped
1/2 c. celery, chopped
3 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
1- 2 oz. jar pimentos (I used one roasted red pepper from a jar of them--GREAT substitute!)
1 T green chilies (Since we love green chile, I used a whole roasted one from my freezer. Gives it extra "hot")
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic salt (used garlic powder to cut down on the salt)
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 c soft breadcrumbs (used the plain breadcrumbs from the store)
1 T butter melted
Wash squash, trim off ends, slice and place in boiling salted water. Cook 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Combine next 10 ingredients; add squash, stirring well. Spoon mixture into a buttered casserole dish.

Combine breadcrumbs and melted butter (I stirred them in the same bowl that had the onion mixture, to flavor the crumbs a little), sprinkle over the top. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

Omigosh, this was so much better than the bland squash casseroles I've made in the past. J-man agreed this was a keeper, and he's gotten very picky these days. If you try this, please let me know what you think!

1 comment:

inspired said...

sound absolutly delicious ;o]