Sunday, September 16, 2007

Only 45 days to Halloween!

Okay, I need ideas, folks.

This year I've decided to go with an alien theme--like the Roswell aliens, not the Sigourney Weaver aliens--and it's turning into quite a challenge. I'm planning to have a "crashed" spaceship in the wooded area right next to my driveway. It will be cordoned off with that yellow police tape so no one can fall down the hill or get too close to the "spaceship" and blow my props. I have a large piece of plywood my neighbor has offered to cut for me, and I will have it just cut in a semi-circle. I plan to use sequential Christmas tree lights to circle the edge, and a fogger to keep it mysterious. I'm thinking green spotlights around the yard, too.

In addition, I have a few props already:
green alien blood
alien head mask
glow-in-the-dark beads to put around my neck
dumb 18" inflatable "aliens" (not what I anticipated, but will make do)


Area 51 ID badge

Green glow bulbs:


Area 51 warning poster


Creepy peepers (Place in a bush or plant, and when activated by sound, it growls, shakes the bush, and the eyes light up)


X-Files CD.

In addition, I hope to get hold of a helium tank and black balloons. If you tie glow sticks on a long string tied to the balloons, it will look like weird lights floating above the house or wherever.

Of course, since they've moved the time change into November, and Halloween is on a Wednesday, the kids won't get to be out late and it'll hardly be dark enough when they do start around.

I'm also checking into getting some old tent poles and draping them with white sheets--think decontamination tunnel into Elliot's home in the movie ET. The kids will have to go through this to get to my front porch.

On eBay, I am watching a couple of alien full-head masks that I will probably buy and attach to some type of body, but not sure how to do it yet.

I'm starting to get panicky. The theme has been rolling around in my head for about 6 months, but suddenly it's almost October and nothing is really solidified.

Any ideas?? I have a reputation to live up to around here! Here are some photos of last year's Halloween in my webshots album:
Image hosted by Webshots.com
by Cloudtoucher

Suggestions and ideas are welcomed--no matter how off-the-wall they might seem to you, they could lead to something workable for me! Thanks in advance!

5 comments:

inspired said...

What about making the alien Cookie Monster visible. The one that eats all the goodies ;o]

Stephanie D said...

But that would be me!

inspired said...

tee hee ;o]

MightyMom said...

what do you mean you need ideas??

you just listed more ideas than my head could hold!!!

Hootin Anni said...

Oh Stephanie!!! I gotta tellya, around the house here, I'M THE ONLY ONE that believes in aliens! I have a few pieces...mostly glow in the dark of the green little creatures. I even have an alien skeleton night light [well, not the kind that plugs into the socket and stays there...it's huge but has a small light inside the skull---I'll get a photo of it and show it to you once I get my stuff unpacked next week] Anyway, your idea sounds fantastic!!!!! I wish I could see it in person. REALLY!!! [you GOTTA remember to notify me once you get all the photos up on your blog....I am going to add your blog to my blog's "favorites", and hopefully I can see it all!! Looks like, from reading your profile that we like a LOT of the same stuff.

Happy day, and thanks for the invite to check out area 251