Friday, October 05, 2007

Anniversary Trip

(Scroll down for today's Show and Tell--I couldn't figure out how to move this post down under it!)
Last week was our 36th wedding anniversary, but as I think I mentioned, it was buried in a work stretch and both of us almost forgot it. Not that we take it for granted, but it was just one of those weeks.

BUT, I had planned a short trip for us this year. Last year we made our first trip to Myrtle Beach, SC and stayed several days. It was a great time of the year to go--cool and not crowded at all. We did some of the touristy things, and one day just lazed around the hotel room and enjoyed the sea breezes. Right afterwards, we bought ourselves the digital camera, because we realized how much we would have enjoyed one down there.

J-man has attention deficit disorder and short-term memory problems since the stroke, so if we want to do anything special, it's up to me to plan it. He's more of a spontaneous "let's go do this" kind of guy. (We really do balance each other out pretty well.) So this year, I made reservations for us on the Mystery Dinner Theater train ride out of Dillsboro, NC. He'd mentioned several times over the last couple of years that we should check this out, but as we haven't even talked about it this year, was totally surprised. And it's hard to surpise J-man! I was pleased.


Traffic was terrible getting past Asheville, and we almost missed the wine and cheese reception. The refreshments were inside, but everyone mingled around this lovely display outside:


It had been raining, and was still overcast, but it stopped before we all had to be outside. Apparently last night was the only day this month that wasn't booked solid, and that's probably because it was a Thurs. night instead of the weekend nights it usually runs.


I wish I'd remembered to take photos of the beautiful presentations of food, and the actors, but was so caught up in the experience, I never gave it a second thought. Our host, Rusty, was the poster child for agility, being tall and long-legged, and able to maneuver past servers and passengers with a tray of glasses held high over everyone's heads. The actors were fun, carrying on their conversations across each car. I'd wondered how you could do a play on a train, and now I know.

In our car were another couple celebrating an anniversary, and newlyweds of 11 days, as well as 12-14 others. I think only one table actually solved the murder, and that wasn't us, but it was fun talking back and forth trying to decide. If you ever come down this way, you should really check out all their different excursions. We will definitely do this again!

5 comments:

MightyMom said...

oh I am sooo jealous!!!

I've always wanted to do one of those!!

I actually was gonna book a local murder mystery train ride for our anniversary one year and the train'd left town..permanently!!
I was so sad!

Haven't had the opportunity since.

So glad you had a great time. I'll email you how to move the posts around...

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Happy Anniversary! Looks like you had a grand time! It was a neat surprise!

Katherine

Susan said...

Happy 36th. We've got a couple of years on you!! hee hee. THIS sounds so much fun. We've never been to one of those murder dinners. I know they have them here but not on a train. Something to check into.
Susan

Hootin Anni said...

Hope you had a wonderful anniversary! I love the photos you shared! I can almost smell the fresh autumn air...and feel the bumpity bump of the train rails!!

[by the way --in order to move an entry below another, just change the timestamp --the time on the clock when you type another ---under the window where you see 'options']

someone else said...

It sounds like you celebrated in a wonderful way.

I wanted to thank you for stopping by my blog a couple weeks ago. I was out of town and then had company and am just now getting caught up on things. Anyway, thanks for the visit.