Monday, October 01, 2007

Excuse me, but did you see a couple of offdays go by?

Sheesh! What a week! Full moon madness was rampant in our little hospital. Usually it's quiet enough between about 2 and 4 am that I can catch up on email and my favorite blogs. Not so this week. And Thurs. night's shift stretched from 12 hours to 15 hours. I left at 9:30 in the morning, and wasn't good for much the remainder of the day. Somewhere in there the J-man and I had our 36th anniversary, but we won't actually celebrate it until later this week.

I think I've mentioned Tandi, my little rescue cocker spaniel, who remains UN-housebroken? Sweet as candy, but very obsessive-compulsive and not the brightest crayon in the box. Anyway, I'd noticed when I cleaned up after her on the kitchen floor, it was brighter than the rest of the floor. It finally dawned on me the ammonia in her urine was cutting through layers of wax buildup on my floor. So Saturday I used almost half a bottle of ammonia stripping the floor. I hope not to do THAT for another couple of years! I had windows open, the overhead fan going, and still the fumes were dense at times. And, since I couldn't stand how the dirt was collecting by the baseboards, I sat in the floor and scrubbed with a sponge and a toothbrush all around the kitchen. Well, except for under and behind the fridge and the Hoosier and the vegetable bin. Then did a mop and shine product on the top. The floor looks great now, and I'm not stressing over it anymore, but that shot the better part of an afternoon. Got 4 loads of laundry done, to boot.

Today was spent finishing my quilt for the 4 Seasons Quilt Swap. I know, I was supposed to have it mailed by today, but I was so wiped out Friday, I couldn't be trusted with sharp objects or heavy machinery, and our post office is not open on Saturday. So it will go out in tomorrow's mail. There are 3 more seasons to go, and we're not obligated to sign up for all of them if we don't want to. I've seen some gorgeous photos; there are some really talented participants. This is my first swap, and I hope my recipient likes the little wallhanging.

See what you think:


And here's the label:

I downloaded the free pattern off the internet, and liked it so much, I'm making a similar one for the wonderful neighbor who brings his riding mower over every other week, and won't take more than $10.00 for cutting my rather large lawn. He and his wife are so nice.

After all this, I needed a break--and had just the place to take it!
Two weeks ago, a fellow quilter posted an offer of a hammock on Freecycle. I just happened to log on there within a few minutes of her posting and sent her an email stating I wanted it if she hadn't promised it out, yet. She hadn't, so I was able to drive right over and get it. I couldn't believe it was in such wonderful condition!

I used to love lying out in DD's hammock, the one we got her for Christmas several years back, and took many a nap in it. I've really missed having that around.

So I took a break from sewing, and put it mostly together today. I say mostly, because it has a canopy, but I couldn't pull it taut enough to attach it to both posts. No matter--the trees are still leafy and shady for a while, and then it'll be too cold to lie out anyway.


It was the perfect afternoon for spending some time out in the hammock--not too cool yet, but not hot anymore, and it was so peaceful...




...Well, except for the miffed little squirrel who was pelting me with nuts.



I just might need that canopy after all.

5 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

BEAUTIFUL quilt hanging!! If your quilt swap partner doesn't like it....well, I'd say there would be need of a head examination. LOL

A white squirrel...I don't think I've ever seen one before...very pretty.

And oh. That hammock...you got me there!!! I love 'em. Ahhhhhhhhhhh, relaxation. Wonderful

Rosa said...

That squirrel almost looks pet like. I think I would love to have one like that in my yard. He is lovely. Hope things have settled down a bit at the hospital.

Anonymous said...

Stephanie, I followed you here from your comment on AfricanKelli's post about simplifying. Are we allowed to comment on comments? Is that legal?

I wanted to compliment you on your impressive downsizing and thank you for the reminder of the FlyLady philosophy. I'm a big fan of hers but my true conversion has been slow. I'll try to keep that in mind.

MightyMom said...

take mr squirrel a handful of acorns next time as a peace offering....actually it was probably a MRS squirrel afraid you were gonna steal her babies...heehee.

oooo lovely quilt! wish I was your recipient!!

I was beginning to think I'd need to send out a search party for you...now I know...you were scrubbing floors YIKES!

puppy still piddling huh? how about just make her an outside dog and be done with it?

uuummm, can I steal the hammock?? looks heavenly....you can keep the squirrel though! HA!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Hey, wanna come scrub my floors?!! Bring your hammock, so I can use it while you work! LOL!

Love that pumpkin quilt panel!

Katherine