Friday, March 20, 2009

Quilting Bee

Our quilt guild has smaller groups, organized by location, and our area usually has about 30 ladies attending. In Dec. we lost our usual meeting place, as the clubhouse is being remodeled. Fortunately for us, a local retirement center offered the use of their facility and bless their hearts, they even provide coffee and Krispy Kreme doughnuts! I think they are hoping some of their residents will attend, but this is our second month there and no visitors yet.

This week we had the unexpected pleasure of viewing a quilt dating back to the 1870s! One of the residents, a man who looks like a gold prospector from one of those old westerns, brought in a quilt handed down in his family for many years. I wish you could have seen it. It wasn't particularly gorgeous, but was obviously a planned quilt, not a utility quilt, and was in awesome condition. It was hand stitched of course, with only a little fraying on the edges. I didn't have my camera with me or I'd have photos to post. One of the border fabrics was a turkey red color with a paisley print, only the paisleys were all turned in the same direction and in a straight line--not like the paisleys we are accustomed to seeing. He says he has 19 more, but is moving out soon, so it's not likely we'll get to see the rest. I don't think I've actually seen a quilt that old, though I do have some blocks and a couple of tops from my great-grandmother.

One of the ladies there had a friend who recently died and left her (Pat) all her handwork and accessories. She brought some things in for anyone to take. I took one of the candlewicking books, as I've always wanted to try that, and a pattern for some Christmas items. It was very old (see the photo), but I wanted it for the apron pattern.


Another pattern that caught my eye was one for billowy pants:

Now, I would look like a blimp in these, and besides that, the pattern sizes are too small for me, but I thought of all our younger seamstresses on blogger and how these pants are coming back in style a bit. So, is there anyone out there who wants this pattern? I'd be glad to send it out to you. The sizes are for small through XL and unisexed. If you're interested or need more information, let me know and I'll get it back to you.

Well, the sewing room is almost finished--just some odds and ends to find a place for, and the mirror and bulletin board left to mount. It doesn't matter--I intend to sew SOMETHING today as I am in serious withdrawal. J-Man would like me to hem the pajamas I bought him for Christmas (the nerve), but right now, even that would help satisfy this craving!

Maybe photos tomorrow!

2 comments:

audreypawdrey said...

I am so glad that everything is almost back in shape for you! I can't wait to see what you first create.:) I have never seen a quilt that old before either. That is really neat that he brought it down to share with all of you.

MightyMom said...

the nerve! the absolute NERVE that he would ask you to sew something as mundane as pj's...doesn't he know there's greatness to be attained in your new room????