Sunday, March 01, 2009

Blizzard

Yep, you read that right. March 1, and we are having a blizzard here in the mountains of Western NC--well, in some places. Asheville has almost nothing, but southeast of there, we have whiteout conditions.

I would post pictures, but I'm at work (finally), and don't have access to do that. Even driving J-Man's 4WD in first gear behind a snowplow, I almost couldn't get enough traction to get out of my neighborhood to get to work. It rained all night and all day, so there's a layer of ice underneath the snow. The hospital was on generator power when I got here, but it's been restored within the last 30 minutes.

The hospital has contracted with a nearby hotel to provide us with rooms as needed--and will pay full price of the room if we share, 1/2 price if we decide to stay alone. Not a bad deal. It's supposed to stop before morning, but if it's still bad, and we have power at home, I'll sleep at the hotel a while. If there's no power at home, I'll get home to J-Man, however long it takes. He suffers so when the power goes off, because so does the heat (not to mention running water), and if I'm there, I can drag down the oil lamps for heat and light, and cook on the gas stove.

Tandi is not pleased. She doesn't like anything messing with her "bathroom", nor does she like cold, wet paws. Thank goodness she finally got housetrained! lol I still have to accompany her out there--as if I could make it warm and dry. Or maybe she figures if she has to be inconvenienced, so should I.

7 comments:

SueR said...

Blizzard in NC, huh? And it's moving this way, arrgghhh! Stay safe.

Cathi said...

Hope you don't have any problem and can get home, if necessary. This is one weird winter. We went from 8C Friday morning to -25 wind chills by Friday evening. Winter just does not want to leave and I hate the thought you're getting it!!

Safe driving!

Perry said...

We missed the snow thank goodness; everyone seems to have gotten some. Hope you got home or not, whichever was best. Will be waiting for your next post to find out.

HarryJack's Mom said...

Stay safe! We are snowed in, too, and this is the first time in my life I'm not prepared or happy about it - all sorts of errands, house hunters, and kids' school have gotten delayed. Hope you're all safe and can enjoy the beauty without many problems

audreypawdrey said...

I hope the power doesn't go out and you can get home! I have to shovel a path through the snow for our little dog, too. She hates the cold snow!

MightyMom said...

glad you made it to work and they're being so accomadating!

now take care of yourself!

MightyMom said...

glad you made it to work and they're being so accomadating!

now take care of yourself!