Sunday, March 15, 2009

Movie Trivia Answer 3/14

I thought I'd see more guessers this week, but folks must have been busy.

In the movie, First Knight, King Arthur promised a kiss from Guinevere to the man who was able to run the gauntlet--which Lancelot not only accomplished, but did so without the heavy armor he was advised to wear.

And the bonus question about when Arthur first knew he was in love with Guinevere is revealed in this exchange as he presents her with the white horse:

King Arthur: We could almost be alone here.

Guinevere: Do you have secrets to tell me?

Arthur: No. No secrets. Just a question to ask.
Do you want to marry me? You don't have to marry me because your father wanted it. Camelot will protect Leonesse, whether you marry me or not.

Guinevere: Thank you. You don't know what it means to me
to hear you say that.

Arthur: So you want to be released
from the engagement?

Guinevere: No. I want to marry you. Not your crown or your army
or your golden city. Just you.

Arthur: Just me?

Guinevere: Yes. If you love me.

Arthur: Do you remember this? (revealing a scar on the back of his hand)

Guinevere: You hurt it in the hunt. I didn't think you'd get a scar.

Arthur: Just a scratch. You wiped the blood away
with a sleeve of your dress.

Guinevere: The sleeve still carries the stain.

Arthur: I never thought until then how sweet
it must be to be loved by one woman. And for the first time in my life, I wanted...

Guinevere: What?

Arthur: What wise men say doesn't last. What cannot be promised, or made to linger any more than sunlight. But I don't want to die without having felt its warmth on my face. Marry the King, Guinevere, but love the man.

Guinevere: I only know one way to love. And that is body... and heart...and soul. I kiss the hurt that brought me your love. (kisses the scar on his hand)





Guinevere and Lancelot fall in love (or maybe, lust) and Guinevere is torn between her husband and his knight. Lancelot decides to leave, and Guinevere surrenders to her desire to kiss him just once. Of course, King Arthur walks in at just this time, and you can see the blow this deals him. He just seems to sag.

But Arthur, as King of Camelot, must put them both on trial for treason--the two people he loves most in the world, who have betrayed him. At the trial, before he can decide whether or not to sentence them to death, Malagant arrives with his army to conquer Camelot, and the fight ensues, beginning with fatal arrows to King Arthur's chest. After Lancelot has killed Malagant, he rushes to where the king has been taken. As Arthur is dying, with Guinevere on one side, and Lancelot is on the other:

Arthur: I feel it now, my love. The sunlight. It's in your eyes. He dies.

Kleenex, anyone? Seeing the words written down, they don't seem to be anything special. Maybe it's that lovely British accent or the period costumes or something, but the scene is so romantic.

Okay, new question on Saturday!


Edited to add this photo for Libby:

















- -

4 comments:

Libby said...

No pictures of Richard Gere *drat*

audreypawdrey said...

This is such a great movie! I need to go back and watch it again.

Karen said...

I am sorry, I just could not see this movie. As much as I love Sean Connery, he's way too old to be Arthur!

julieQ said...

This is one of my big time favorite movies! Love it!