Saturday, April 19, 2008

Quilters--Need Opinion!


I have an opportunity to buy a Bernina 1130 from a woman in my quilting group, who also teaches Bernina classes at the local quilt shop. She bought a new one, and has had a hard time letting go of this one, but decided to sell it for $650.00, including the manual and the $150.00 walking foot.

I think, from looking around online, that this is a good price, and I'm betting she has taken very good care of it, because that's the kind of person she is.

Do any of you have this model and what do you like about it? Anything you don't like about it? Is it expensive to maintain or to buy parts for? Is it easy to use? Is this as good a price as I think it is? Should I buy it or should I amass a bit more money and buy a newer model, since these were made between 1986 and 1992?

The first person with the money gets the machine, and she has put an ad in the newsletter which will be out within the week. When I emailed her about it, she told me to call for an appointment to see it and try it out. Any suggestions as to what I should ask, or look for? I had hoped some day to have a really nice machine, such as a Pfaff or Bernina; I just didn't expect it might happen so soon, so I am not as prepared as I should be.

Any help is appreciated!

3 comments:

jacquie said...

Wish I could help. It sounds like you have a good opportunity here. Good luck with your decision making!

MightyMom said...

a BERNINA?? are you pooping me??

I have a Kenmore dearie. I'm no help at all!!

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

I have a Bernina 1031 and love it. Prior to that I had a 1005. These vintage Berninas are real work horses. No embroidery and minimal interesting stitches, but by gum for piecing they are spectacular. I'd go for it if I were you. Hope this isn't too late! I bought a 1001 and a 1006 on ebay for my daughter and DIL.