Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Movie Trivia Answer 6/20

There weren't many guesses this week, so either everyone's all busy with outdoor and vacation stuff or not many of you have seen this movie.

It's an old one--25 years old, to be exact. Sally won the Oscar for this performance, and if you haven't seen it, it'd be worth putting this title on your Netflix queue and making a run to the store for extra Kleenex.

Sally's husband, the Sheriff, is shot and killed, and to keep the homeplace in the Depression, she must make some really tough decisions.


The day of the funeral, Moze (Danny Glover) comes by for a handout, and repays the kindness by stealing some of the silverware. When the local lawman brings him back to her house, "Miz Spaulding" covers for him, but recruits him to help her plant cotton. Her threat makes me chuckle every time.

Annie nailed the bonus question. Mr. Will (John Malkovich) is the blind brother-in-law of the banker, who bullies Miz Spaulding into taking Mr. Will in as a paying boarder. Mr. Will canes chairs and makes brooms for a living.

It's an awesome movie, one of my 5-star favorites!

New question on Sturday!

4 comments:

Cathi said...

I've never even heard of that movie before your blog post about it. Guess I'll be heading to the video store. :-)

Lori in South Dakota said...

Now I remember the movie!! I've watched it several times.

jacquie said...

can't believe i missed this one...i LOVE this movie! sally field is fab in it and john malkovich is one of my fav actors.

AnnieO said...

There is a lot that happens in this movie and sooo many great actors in it besides Sally Field and John Malkovich. I think this was the first movie I ever saw Ed Harris in too.