Saturday, September 13, 2008

Collecting the Props

Well, I couldn't find anything for the Mad Scientist's Laboratory at the flea market last Saturday (except a bag full of books on tape which I will listen to when I sew), but a trip to Goodwill was pretty productive.

First, these are the jars and containers I found for the laboratory specimens.
I like this one, not only because it has a lid, but for the writing on it:



It's hard to tell, but this is the size of a fishbowl:

Maybe it was a fishbowl.

This is a candleholder and frame I found at a yard sale earlier in the summer and have left it out to rust. I had thought to use it as a large test tube holder.


Then, at Goodwill, I found the perfect container to sit in the candleholder part itself:


Don't you just love this carafe-type thingie? I think a small can of sterno will fit underneath it, so I can fill it with colored liquid and maybe it'll steam.


I bought this tall jar earlier in the summer for spaghetti noodles, but then found the smaller one at Goodwill. AND, look what I found at an Etsy shop--a disembodied tongue in a very tiny replica of the larger jars:




I thought this candleholder looked a bit mysterious, too.


Here are some books for the mad scientist's bookshelf:



Some of them need to be aged a bit, but one of the books is yielding some great pictures so far:





Most of the items will be donated back to some thrift store afterwards, so I think I might photocopy the pictures so as not to ruin the books. Then I can dusty them up, maybe sear the edges and put them in old frames. Or assemble them into a "journal" of sorts.

I scored a ripped, unusable hospital gown from work, and found a lab coat at Goodwill today, but it wasn't in poor enough condition--so I'm going to have to rip and stain it. Maybe I should save it for one of those frustrating times when a little wanton destruction can be productive as well as rewarding.

I'm starting to get excited...

7 comments:

audreypawdrey said...

It is looking spooky! That tongue is so absolutely disgusting that it made my stomach curl up and I thought I might throw up; therefore, it is perfect! Awesome find.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Great finding!

'spill' a little acid on your coat to get holes in it! I've done that actually in the lab when I used to work...try vineager (acetic acid)

HarryJack's Mom said...

Awesome job! We are a few years away from all the gore, so I'm living vicariously thru you ;) I found some really excellent party food things last year, and I bet your edibles will be just as cool as your decor - I'm excited to see your progress!

MightyMom said...

you're such a goofball!

loving it.

hmmm, what other ideas can I percolate??

that candle holder looked like a bunsen burner to me....just needs a light under it....but then you've got that going for the next pic........whatelse??

I think you should strategically burn the edges of some of those "books"

Anonymous said...

Oh, you are goooood!

You could phototcopy my Roen/Yakochi anatomy book. It has pictures of REAL human cadavers.

Ewwwweeeee!

I can't wait to see how everything turns out.

Anonymous said...

cauliflower makes good brain...

SueR said...

The tongue is especially gross--perfect! It'll all be great.