Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Vacation Progress--or Lack Thereof

Well, I did learn a little bit on this vacation--it's not enough to have a list of things to do, I need a plan.

Last week I accomplished precious little on my list. I didn't just goof off ALL the time, and I did do some things that needed to be done and weren't on the list, but I have found if I don't decide the day before what I'm going to do when I get up...not much gets done.

I fix my coffee and sit down at the computer and the next thing I know I've been here 3 hours, what with reading blogs and chasing rabbits and then playing spider solitaire while "watching"/listening to whatever J-Man recorded the night before. Then I still need to eat breakfast, take a shower, and by then it's almost noon and half my day is gone.

We did get the carpet cleaned last Thursday. Tandi freaked at the furniture all being in the kitchen or on the back porch, and a strange van in her driveway. Bless her heart, she needs her routines, and this was meltdown territory. I had to lie in the hammock outside with her close by for about 4 hours that day, til the carpet dried. It was a real sacrifice, lying under a light afghan, reading this book by Jodi Piccoult, and drinking a Diet Coke until I dozed off. But nothing's too good for my little cocker.

I did clean out the pantry and fridge, sort through some books and tapes before putting them back on the shelves, and got the bird feeders cleaned and filled. (I took some photos of my little hummingbird friend gorging himself, but oddly, I can't find the camera right now.)

So today I decided to run errands--first time I've driven my truck in a week. Thanks to some really nice people in East Tennessee who have diverted some gasoline our way, I was able to fill up my tank--the first gas I've bought since before Ike. It was $3.99/gallon for regular at the BP station, but I didn't know how long it'd last or if I'd find gas elsewhere, so I squeezed as much as I could into my truck. Then went a mile down the road, and Enmark had regular gas for $3.73/gallon. Can we say price gouging???? I was so ticked.

But I made it to two quilt shops, dropped off 2 boxes of books and tapes at a donation center, got my oil changed, vacuumed out my car, got Tandi's Heartguard medicine from the vet, bought her dog food and treats at the pet supply, and bought groceries. Just didn't make it to Lowe's or Staples. Still have oodles of things to do, but these were priorities.

Especially the quilt shops.

Tomorrow (oops, today now) I will clean out the garage and find the set of dishes to post on freecycle, as well as dig out and clean up the fall items to put around the house.

That's my plan, anyway.

Hope you all have a great Tuesday!

7 comments:

audreypawdrey said...

The day you were forced to lay in the hammock with your puppy, a diet coke, a book by Picoult sounds ideal! I'm glad you are having some days that you get to be lazy because that is what vacations are for!:)

jacquie said...

it all sounds really productive to me..especially the nap part!

HarryJack's Mom said...

It sounds wonderful to me, too! Enjoy it, there's always a non-vacation day to accomplish your list. If you want to get lost in another JPicoult book, Plain Truth was good :-) Happy relaxing!

Libby said...

Sounds like the perfect vacation . . . I think I might just have to copy you *s*

MightyMom said...

here's a gas saving (and money saving) tip.

go to vetshoponline.com

we've been getting frontline for about a year now from them and never been dissappointed.

and/??
where's the pics of what you got at the QUILT STORE???

Gill - That British Woman said...

we must be twins, as your start of the day sounds just like mine. I wake up with great intentions, then before you know it half the day has gone by and I have nothing to show for it????

Enjoy the rest of the week,

Gill

Lori in South Dakota said...

You have nesting fever. It sounds like no stone has been left unturned at your house. All the dust bunnies have been chased away. But I wanted to sit on the desk with a book with you.