Saturday, September 27, 2008

Saturday at the Movies

I guess everyone knows by now that Paul Newman died yesterday. I didn't even know he had cancer, but did anyone? I never heard much about him and Joanne Woodward, except for that amazingly long Hollywood marriage they had, even though she was not his first wife.

And though I was never a major fan of his, he was in a couple of movies I really liked.

This is a quote from one of them:

SHE said: "I'm 26, and I'm single, and a school teacher, and that's the bottom of the pit. And the only excitement I've known is here with me now. I'll go with you, and I won't whine, and I'll sew your socks, and I'll stitch you when you're wounded, and I'll do anything you ask of me except one thing. I won't watch you die. I'll miss that scene if you don't mind."


Answer on Tuesday, hint on Monday if no correct guesses by then!

10 comments:

HarryJack's Mom said...

Oh, really sad - he seemed like a genuinely good guy. Also, I seem to recall JW had a Greenville connection and a dim recall of seeing them at The Little Theater when she did The Glass Menagerie...I could be mistaken. Terrible memory for movie lines, but it sounds familiar.

Libby said...

No guess this time . . . maybe the hint will stir something up.

LauraJ said...

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid!!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid - My favorite movie!! I also like his voice in Cars... thats a kids classic!

Karen said...

My favorite Newman movie is The Sting.

Gill - That British Woman said...

no idea, but sorry to hear he had passed on....

Gill in Canada

Steph said...

Ah, yes. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. You know, both Robert and Paul aged so beautifully, but when you watch this one you can see that they began with the right stuff to do so. :)

MightyMom said...

no idea at all, either about his death or about the quote.

did he do Good Luck Luke?

Anonymous said...

I was gonna guess Butch Cassidy.
I hope he was a Believer.

Lori in South Dakota said...

me too--it was said by "Etta" in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Shucks, I remember going to see that movie.